Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I've just read in a book

that running from ourselves causes the human race a great deal of pain. but everytime I am faced with spending time alone with reality, just me and myself, I can't get away fast enough. I would love to be a dog. maybe not though- sometimes I swear I see in their eyes the same dull confusion that we share about our world and what is really going on. do our cells know? they are billions of years old. they must know something.

I've often conjectured that human beings cant really create anything original. every new idea is not new, it's just some aspect of the universe put into song or metaphor. The Borg means something. Midichlorians mean something. The Force means something. Pop music means something. How do we expand this mind? How can I get outside of my own consciousness to see what's going on? Will I make it back? Will I still be me. Star Child means something.

I imagine being given the choice a lot- stay with them or come be something more. I ALWAYS choose to stay. I cajole, plead beg- can I come with and still look in on them? Can you just tell me and I can stay with them? Can I know half of it and still be one of them? I LIKE us. WE mean something. I believe in a destiny for the human race, hell for the inhabitants of the planet earth in toto. I WANT to know where we go. I WANT to know what we're going to do. I am excited for us. This is one thing I KNOW, and in the apparent uncertainty of the first 30 years of life, that, at least, is something.

2 comments:

  1. yo. i just ordered you one of these IN MY MIND:

    http://www.bustedtees.com/desmondismyconstant.

    seems apropo, for some reason. maybe because desmond has a destiny AND is awesome even without it. so works out either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you throw an s on the end of apropos. in case you didnt mistype I've saved you some embarrassment. like the time when I didnt know how to pronounce Sufjan Stevens and I was corrected and couldn't ever figure why I was so embarrassed since there was no way I could have ever known what the proper pronunciation was and my guess was not out of the realm of possibility. hearkens back to our D.C. debate about intelligence vs. knowledge or the nature of intelligence as civilized human beings define it. Ah D.C. Where good people go to become racists.

    ReplyDelete