The horrifying realization that I could be googled just as easily as the girls I was looking up swept over me the other day, and I googled myself. two things.
one: this fear was incredibly strong, and I wish it would go away. sophomore year of school I got an invite to dinner from the girl I had been in love with the year before, and in a rambling explanation of an email response, somehow I tried to explain to her that I wasn't going to see her again until I was awesome. She was pissed. I probably would have been too. I am legitimately crazy. I would be mortified if someone actually found me in a google search. which was why I was relieved when my preliminary searches turned up a bunch of marginally famous people with my name. good. of course then if the person had done what I would do, they would start adding keywords to narrow the search. and then I found the picture.
two: this one picture of me has changed the way I see myself. I'm still reeling from it. I finally saw myself as others see me. I still haven't drawn any kind of conclusion. Something about the person I saw has pestered me to stop being such a pussy. We'll see if anything comes of that. I really like being a pussy. no responsibility. nothing to answer for. no goals, no pressure. just food. and sometimes movies. but that kid- well first of all he was hideous. that much cannot be denied. in his defense, he was making a face. but still. secondly, though, he wouldn't be doing the things I'm doing now. He wouldn't even be worrying about it. Am I better or worse off than he is?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
or is he me?
ReplyDeletedoes he not give a fuck? sounds like he doesn't give a fuck. and is slightly scary looking.
ReplyDeletei couldn't find the photo in 30 seconds of surfing, so no worries. although this photo came up twice:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lGNADH5L7Fc/RyH_d6QEdVI/AAAAAAAAANU/6eLdyoPmfKg/s400/Stanford1.jpg
do you know her?
I do not. seen her before though, Playboy girls of the Pac-10. Came out when we were already a few years out. I believe Dustin brought it to my attention.
ReplyDeleteGood man Dustin is.
ReplyDeleteOther thoughts. Calling yourself a "pussy" is interesting. It can mean a lot of things. Some people need other people to call them out on their rationalizations. But other people need inspiration to act on what they already know. Maybe crazy face photo is the inspiration.
These are my thoughts.